Pages

where sisters, sibling rivalry, and creativity collide.




Saturday, July 30, 2011

Bloomers

Sherri was teasing me a bit about making bloomers for Miriam...that's okay, I can take it.  I can also dish it out: 
These bloomers were super simple to whip up - and very practical. Very.

Miriam insists on wearing dresses/skirts all the time. All. The. Time. That doesn't mean that she's ladylike all the time (she's 5 years old...prone to standing on her head at inopportune times - like in the middle of church).  Here's how I made them:
 I found a shorts pattern in her size - these are super simple to cut out and make - just one pattern piece.  After cutting them out, sew both 'j' shaped seams (center front and back). Next, you're going to sew the inseam - just match up the two seams you've just done (right sides together) and sew the inseam (that's where the crotch is).
 Now get your iron out and iron a small (about 1/4 inch) hem, then fold over again - about an inch-ish.  Sew close to the hem edge (that's the bottom seam in the picture above) - leave about a 2 inch gap for inserting the elastic.  Sew another seam, all the way around this time, about 1/4 inch from the outside edge.  Repeat for each opening (both legs and waist).
 This is what you'll have.
Insert 1/4" elastic in each of the openings - don't make the leg openings too tight.  Trim elastic and stitch ends. Stitch openings closed.  You're done!  I think these took me about 15 minutes each - and they only cost me the price of the elastic - I used an old white sheet for the fabric. I think they look a little nicer than bike shorts under her skirts on Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. MUCH nicer! I, personally, love them and think they offer that little extra fanciness so often lacking in the world today.

    ReplyDelete