Pages

where sisters, sibling rivalry, and creativity collide.




Thursday, July 19, 2012

Quick Quiche

I love quiche.  Jim thinks quiche is for girls.  Really?  I haven't made one in a long time and when I mentioned it to Jim he said, "I'll pick up Chinese.".  Dork.  I made it anyway AND made him have a piece before ordering Chinese.  Guess what? He didn't order Chinese.  True story.  So, here is the quiche that changed my husband's mind.

Smoke Ham Quiche

2 cups smoked ham cut into bite size pieces (I used left overs from a meal with my in-laws)
4 medium sized red potatoes cut into small bite sized pieces
1 1/2 cups broccoli flowerettes cut into bit sized pieces (see a trend here?)
1/2 cup leeks cut into slices and then cut in half (green onions will work but leeks are milder)
2 cups  Swiss Cheese grated
4 large eggs whisked
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 pastry crust (I cheated and used a Pillsbury crust I had in the freezer.)

Preheat oven to 450'.  Place crust in 9" pie pan, trim edge to top of pan.  Prick bottom of crust and cover in foil.  Place in oven for 5 minutes. Remove foil and cook crust until almost done about 5 to 7 minutes.  Remove from oven.

Turn oven down to 350'. 

Whisk eggs in large bowl.  Add cream and milk, mix thoroughly.  Add salt and pepper, mix thoroughly.  Add cheese and stir. 

Place potatoes in a microwave safe bowl and add 1 Tbl of water to bowl, cover loosely.  Microwave for 2 minutes.  Place broccoli and leeks on top of potatoes and cover again.  Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes.  Drain if necessary. Stir in ham pieces.  Place in the pie crust.

Pour egg and milk mixture over vegetables.  Stir lightly to spread the cheese around the pie crust.

Place pie pan on cookie sheet (this tends to go over the sides).  Bake for 50 - 60 minutes until middle is firm.  NOTE:  It may seem a little runny in the middle but it is just the cheese.  Once it cools for 5 -10 minutes it will firm up nicely.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought of the potatoes! Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! Maybe I won't tell my husband it's quiche.

    ReplyDelete