Pages

where sisters, sibling rivalry, and creativity collide.




Monday, July 23, 2012

Outdoor Wedding Skirt

I was laboring under a mighty rage today--intemperate--and like the Chinese I harnessed that power for the collective good.
China's Fury
I ran up this skirt for the Epic Wedding.  The fabric was a beast just looking for a reason to pucker and fray.  I didn't use a pattern (which wasn't a problem but I still have yet to do beautiful button holes with my machine) so it's a  basic gathered skirt tucked into a three inch waistband with a covered button finish. I used the finished edge for the hem and another band at the waist.  I made it just below the knee because Laura is not 6 anymore.
Front

 I like the simple and dramatic effect.  A sharp white blouse will make this. I'm thinking of doing something with pin-tucks down the front and a short cap-length kimono sleeve.

Back (I ended up loosening the buttons after taking this picture as my measurements were somewhat off, but I like how it bells out gently at the hip).



2 comments: