Pages

where sisters, sibling rivalry, and creativity collide.




Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Memphis-Style Barbecued Spareribs

Deb and I have a pact.  A pact to post recipes.  I'm holding up my end with the protein.  Now she needs to hold up her end with the good part.

I  made this from the Cook's Best All Time Best recipes and I have to say it delivers. I changed just a few minor things and the recipe forgave and forgot.

Spice Rub (see below)
2 (2 1/2 - 3 lb) racks St Louis-style spareribs, trimmed (get that fat off)
1/2 cup apple juice
3 tablespoons cider vinegar

Combine apple juice and cider vinegar in small bowl.

Spice Rub

2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons chili powder*
1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper*
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

*Adjust these to taste.  As is this is a spicy rub.  I cut down on the cayenne and chili powder and my kids liked it better.  I like spicy.

Combine all in bowl.

Rub about 2 tablespoons per side per rib rack.  Let the ribs sit at room temperature for 1 hour covered in plastic wrap.  At about 45 minutes start grill on a low temperature about 300-325'.  Grill meat slowly for about 1 1/2 hours.  During the last 20 minutes baste with apple juice mixture.  Rotate at least twice for basting.  Turn on oven when you start basting to 325'.  Set a wire rack (we have one we use in our smoker) over a cookie sheet covered in foil.  Transfer the ribs to the rack.  Baste with the last of the apple cider mixture and cover tightly with foil.  Poke about 4 holes to vent.  Cook until tender, about 1 to 2 hours.

Jim liked dipping his in regular barbecue sauce but I liked it plain.  It went well with a little cucumber and purple onion salad (slice both thin and add 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar and 1 tablespoon sugar and let it sit for 15 minutes in the fridge).

1 comment:

  1. Want these. Now.

    Do you have any problems with your grill cooking stuff too fast? An hour and a half is a long time to have stuff over a flame -I'd worry a bit about having charcoal instead of meat.

    ReplyDelete