If a picture says a 1,000 words, you're in for a feature length novel here....
I first saw some hot pads like this at Porter's (in Rexburg) back in August. I thought they combined functional and cute pretty well. Then I forgot about them. I ran across them again a week ago and pinned them on Pinterest. The gal that writes The Idea Room even included a download-able pattern. Brilliant. Being me, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I'll show you what tweaks I made (and I do mean show you - I took twenty thousand pictures of the process...more or less).
|I cut out all the pieces to make 2 different oven mitts, then shuffled the pieces a bit.|
|The first change I made was to enlarge the pattern. |
I put the pattern in my printer and set it to enlarge to 120%.
|The next step was to make my own bias tape. I am not against store bought, but that would have meant going to the store...I'm not going into a tutorial on making bais tape - there are plenty of those out there (here's a youtube video tutorial)|
|After getting everything cut, I made up the pockets. First I layered the fabric, just like the picture - one piece of exterior fabric face down, one piece of cotton batting then a final piece of exterior fabric face up.|
|Next, I basted around the curved edge and then, starting at the stitched line, sewed some curvy channels (on the coordinating oven mitt I sewed straight channels).|
|Bias Tape! Open up one side of the bias tape, line it up with the top of the pocket and stitch along the fold line. You may notice that I didn't bother to pin.|
|Now fold the bias tape over the edge and top stitch it in place.|
|For the body of the oven mitt you'll need 4 layers. |
The Insul-Bright needs to be next to the outside fabric, with the foil facing out.
Pin all four layers together and baste around the outside.
|Baste pockets on. (If you have a serger, this would be a good time to use it...)|
|Bias Tape! Sew the bias tape the same way as the pockets, easing around the curves.|
|Trim part of the seam (this is where it's nice to have a serger - it was easy to see exactly where to trim)|
|(This is the first one I made, that I didn't serge - it still worked, but it was a little fiddl-ier to trim the seam)|
|Run out of thread.|
|Finish bias tape by folding it over the edge and topstitching.|
|Done! I'm using these for Visiting Teaching gifts.|